Thursday, June 30, 2016

June 28 - playing at home and with Coehlos

I can't wait to leave our apartment, but I want to remember it, too. The challenge of living in 900 square feet with a family of seven is somewhat ridiculous, but there are probably many people who do it and do it with much more grace than I have shown. Our eating area is also our project area, game area, homework area. So I love this picture of Gavin because it shows what we lived like during this time. And our kids have taken it in stride, with a few tearful moments as the remembered things in Wisconsin, like a basement. One time Betsy, out of the blue, said, 

Remember my friend Morgan in Wisconsin? (Yes.) I wish I could go over to her house and I would bring Gavin and Gabriel and you and dad, well everyone. Except her family wouldn't be there, it would just be us. Because they have stairs and I like their stairs. 

Our kids still have so much fun together some days (and fight so much in between). They put Abby in the blanket and carried her around while each holding a corner. She liked being dragged on the floor on the blanket more, though. And the dragon costume is still going strong, as are all the dress-ups. I have put some away, but can't bring myself to get rid of them because they are used all the time. Just today Gavin drew a picture of a little gadget we found after moving here that had a bunch of little tools on it and made a spark. It was the weirdest little thing and we couldn't figure out a use for it, except our kids loved to carry it around and act like they were doing stuff with it. I threw it away eventually because it seemed dangerous and not useful. This was months ago and today Gavin asked me where it was. I couldn't remember what he was talking about, so he drew a picture. I sadly explained what had happened and he started crying asking, Then what am I going to use for electricity so I can do my scientist work?

Simony was so nice to watch our kids while we went to children's health council. They love being with Simony and all of her kids. Sarah usually asks me if she can come over and this time they got in the back of the car so they could come home with us without my knowing. Betsy also asks when she can go over to play with Daniel. I'm sad they won't be going to kindergarten together next year at Escondido. And will miss their family a lot!

0 comments: