Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Happy 4th of July!

I am a little sad to be taking apart our house. Making sure everything had a place, putting up decorations in the right spots, organizing rooms has been a lot of work and I'm really proud we all have done it together! As I pack I realize this place will never look normal or homey again. It's just going to be bare and boxes until we leave. I have been very happy since the day we decided to move, but I still have some reservations not knowing what the next place will be like and leaving behind friends that we just didn't have enough time with. We had not even met everyone in our ward and those we had met, our friendships were still developing. But I have to leave Palo Alto! I am not sad about that. We missed the window of middle-income people moving here about twenty years ago and now our 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment that is 900 sqft sells for over a million. So let's just think about what a normal-sized house costs and the chances you will get it with the competitive bidding and then it is obvious why we are leaving. It's just the most insane market. It's been interesting to be a part of it and witness first-hand how people live in such small space, sacrifice so much for rent, and learn why they do it. Or also learn how people made a business and sold it for several millions and that's how they live here. It's a town of millionaires. And I have honestly told Amanda V. and others from the beginning that I wanted out. I hit my limit and this place is beyond it and I really respect others for holding out longer/think they're crazy. By the way, we still lose things in our apartment, despite it's size.

We are surrounded by boxes and stuff needing to be packed. This morning was brunch at Dick and Mimi P.'s house, which was lovely. It's amazing what a year can do. I remember going last year and enjoying it, but we were the new family on the block. Gabriel and Chris had helped with set up, so Gabriel said he knew what was going to be there, but was going to let it be a surprise. Then a few seconds later said, But I'm so excited for face painting!

Chris drove with Gabriel, Betsy, Abby, and the egg casserole. The recipe called for 1 cup of cheese for every egg. Seriously! I rode bikes with Ruby and Gavin because of the minivan issues. Ruby is having shoe troubles. The only shoes we can find for her are the right blue keen shoe and left black shiny Sunday shoe. That's what she had to wear to church yesterday! I keep believing the pairs will show up, but I might cave and buy her some soon. Also, Ruby loves Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood and calls it Tiger Daniel, saying the Daniel as one would in Spanish. She sings the songs Use Your Words and It Might Get Better a lot. Gavin was fussing on the couch about a problem and I encouraged him to work it out by using his words. Ruby walked over to the couch, pointed her finger at him and sang, Use your words! We all started laughing in that tense moment, even Gavin. He didn't like it so much when Betsy and Gabriel joined Ruby, though. 

The best part of the brunch was the singing and talking with friends. Mary P. sang the national anthem, primary kids sang My Flag, and everyone sang God Bless America and This Land is Your Land. The pictures show Betsy and Ruby mesmerized by the singing. Gavin and Gabriel were wandering through the beautifully landscaped trees making up a game with other boys. I love their natural ability to play. It happens so easily wherever we go and who ever we are with. I wonder when they'll stop going immediately to the trees to make forts or battle plans. Hopefully not soon! It's so previous to see.

Jeri Seams is painting Lorin P.'s face. She was the nursery leader when we first moved in and welcomed Ruby so well. Chris has been in nursery this year and really respected her detailed preparation and service. She loved him in nursery, too, and said how loving he is. She also said it has been priceless to have Ruby see her and come sit on her lap during sacrament. Ruby also goes to belle d. And Abby often gets taken by the cooks. 

By the way, I like the bricks for the outdoor flooring. 

We had a packing afternoon and the kids watched Kung fu panda. We were all going to go to shoreline for fireworks, but Gavin needed to stay, so I'm home with Abby and Gavin. The rest parked at Costco, walked to the golf course, found the Coehlos, and are enjoying the fireworks and crowd. 

1 comments:

Scott and Svetlana said...

Wow, I can't even begin to imagine of how is it to live in 900 sq ft apartment with that many cutie kids... You are an amazing mom!